English10
Dear Guest
Welcome at English10 Forum.
Take your time to browse the contents of some sections or register to have a full access to the content.
We will be so glad to count you among our humble family members.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

English10
Dear Guest
Welcome at English10 Forum.
Take your time to browse the contents of some sections or register to have a full access to the content.
We will be so glad to count you among our humble family members.
English10
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 134 registered usersThe newest registered user is tesnimOur users have posted a total of 553 messagesin 356 subjects
Latest topics
exam N°12015-01-22, 00:06Mr. Azzedine
exam N°12015-01-22, 00:05Mr. Azzedine
2nd term exam 1st year Back To Nature2014-04-28, 08:37الاستاذة أمال
Big Grammar Book2014-04-28, 08:29الاستاذة أمال
zero conditional : certainty2014-03-24, 06:07Mr. Azzedine
Second Exam -3am-2014-03-13, 04:38Mr. Azzedine
Exam N°2- 3 AM2014-03-04, 04:17Mr. Azzedine
Second Exam - 2am-2014-03-04, 04:06الاستاذة أمال
Expressing agreement2014-02-25, 08:33الاستاذة أمال
Means of transport2014-02-25, 08:28الاستاذة أمال
Exam N°2 - SOS animals in danger.2014-02-25, 08:25الاستاذة أمال
Differences Btwn American & British Eng2014-02-25, 08:22الاستاذة أمال
Differences Btwn American & British Eng2014-02-25, 08:20الاستاذة أمال
Exam N°22014-02-25, 08:15الاستاذة أمال
pronunciation animations2014-02-07, 05:16Mr. Azzedine
Top posters
373 Posts - 43%
363 Posts - 42%
Akram (63)
63 Posts - 7%
31 Posts - 4%
the guide (11)
11 Posts - 1%
NORINET (7)
7 Posts - 1%
sasuna (6)
6 Posts - 1%
oussama (5)
5 Posts - 1%
illoul (4)
4 Posts - 0%
3 Posts - 0%
Keywords

Poll
What's your opinion of this forum?
Good
61% / 14
Excellent
9% / 2
bad
4% / 1
medium
26% / 6
newspapers
Adjective word order Support-ar.com-6abeb26640 Adjective word order Support-ar.com-2643af5e6c Adjective word order Support-ar.com-0f9ad2bddd Adjective word order Support-ar.com-a378c48f9e Adjective word order Support-ar.com-d128ae0f17 Adjective word order Support-ar.com-4356ab5e95 Adjective word order Support-ar.com-417c2fda52 Adjective word order Support-ar.com-53dcc5b090
Clock

Go down
الاستاذة أمال
VIP Member
VIP Member
Female
Number of posts : 363
Job/hobbies : English teacher/ reading/
Humor : serious/helpful/
Adjective word order Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Adjective word order Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2012-01-28
https://english10.forum.st

Adjective word order Empty Adjective word order

2012-10-31, 10:26
Adjectives – and the right place to put them.

Hello everybody!

In today’s lesson we are going to focus on using adjectives. Adjectives are a great way to make your speech or writing more interesting. We use adjectives to describe nouns, the more adjectives we use, the better description we give to our listener or reader.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Which is the best description of the car above?
A red car
A red sports car
A red american sports car
A classic fast red american sports car

It is very common to use more than one adjective to describe a noun in an English sentence. When you use more than one adjective it’s important you use the right word order.

1. Opinion
¨When you observe an object or a person, you will form an opinion about it. Others may or may not agree with this opinion. e.g. This is a wonderful book (It is your opinion that the book is wonderful). She is a beautiful women (It is his opinion that the woman is beautiful).
Write down adjectives you can use to express your opinion.

2. Size (Dimension)

This one is pretty easy. You can state the actual measurements of something or a general size description. The weight of something is also included in this category. e.g. The mountain is so huge. Kody Bryant is very tall. These boxes are heavy.
Write down more words to describe size.

3. Age
¨An age adjective tells us how old something is. e.g. The children are very young. Dubai is a modern city. Have you seen my new phone?
How many different adjectives do you know to describe age?

4. Shape
¨This one tells us the shape of something or someone. e.g. Harry potter wears round glasses. A football field is rectangle shape. I make star shaped cookies with my mother.
What shapes can you see in front of you?

5. Colour
This should be another easy one. Colour adjectives describe the colour of something.e.g Red and orange and pink and green, purple and orange and blue.
How many colours can you name?

6. Origin
¨Origin adjectives let us know where something is from e.g. The best coffee is Colombian. I love Japanese food. Cuban cigars are great.
Where does the stuff in your house come from?

7. Material
¨Material adjectives tell us what things are made from e.g. I have a wooden table in the kitchen. My smartphone is made from glass and plastic. In the winter I wear a woolen jersey.
Can you name the material used for a computer?

8. Purpose
¨Purpose adjectives tell us specifically what an object is being used for e.g. Make sure you bring your dancing shoes. When i go to the supermarket you have to take my own shopping bag.
What are your favorite things used for?

Your turn
What order would you put these words in? The noun is umbrella.
British, red, square-shaped, royal blue, big, stylish, new, nylon, rain.
Did you write – A stylish big new square-shaped red and royal blue British nylon rain umbrella?

Remember you can use all eight adjectives to describe a noun or you could use just a few. The important thing to remember is to always use them in the RIGHT ORDER!

Describe these photos with as many adjectives as possible.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum